Saturday, April 24, 2010

Another post about the dentist

I forgot to mention that last week when at the dentist, I was informed that it is time for me to get my wisdom teeth out. Needless to say, I am scared to death to get them out. SCARED TO FREAKIN DEATH. This is no joke. I went to see the oral surgeon yesterday, and he told me that my x-rays showed a pretty normal set of wisdom teeth and that it would be a regular(not easy, not hard) extraction. He explained that I can not eat or drink for 8 hours leading up to the surgery, and that when I get there I'll get a "small" stick in my arm(which I know is a load of crap. I've seen lots of people get IVs, and it is no small stick, I mean, come on, does he think I'm an idiot? I was in a medical assisting course for almost a year. Whatever) after which they'll put me out and then I'll be asleep for about an hour, and then I will be able to leave the office and start the weeks of horribly tedious and painful rehab. Here's a list of reasons I am scared
1. I have never been put to sleep, but I'd rather be asleep than awake as they are chipping away at my mouth.
2. Although I know that IVs save lives, they are also dangerous. During the aforementioned MA class, I had the wonderful opportunity to read about the risks of intravenious shots. Scary stuff.
3. I have talked to many people who have had their wisdom teeth out, and there are only two extremes during the rehab: it's either totally fine, and I'll be back to normal activity the next day, or it will be the worst week of my life and I will basically wish I were dead. I am pretty sure it will be the latter.

I should probably start looking more at the bright side of everything, but I feel like I'm usually a very optomistic person, but this is just not something I can do that with. Wish me luck, bring me some jamba juice.

3 comments:

  1. I just think it's funny that you said they'll "put you to sleep". When they put animals to sleep...well, that means they are killing them, Courtney. Euthanization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never have had my wisdom teeth out, and im sure i wont ever need to get them out. but i feel sorry for you!! and wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete